Blarney Castle) is a medieval stronghold in Blarney, near Cork, Ireland, and the River Martin. Though earlier fortifications were built on the same spot, the current keep was built by the MacCarthy of Muskerry dynasty, a cadet branch of the Kings of Desmond, and dates from 1446. The noted Blarney Stone is found among the machicolations of the castle.
The Blarney Castle is an ancient seat of the MacCarthys of Muskerry. It is world famous for its castle, an unusually large tower-house of 1446 which incorporates the famous Blarney Stone, high up beneath the battlements. The 4th Earl of Clancarty had supported King James II, with the result that his forfeited estate was granted to the Hollow Swords Company at the end of the Williamite wars.